Venkata R. Duvvuri
Scientist, Machine Learning
Public Health Ontario Laboratory
“Public Health Ontario is a unique workplace that brings together experts in research, policy, and practice to protect and promote the health of Ontarians. Working at Public Health Ontario allows me to access a myriad of data sets to accomplish my goal to improve population health by addressing and providing answers to complex public health challenges.”
Areas of Expertise
- data science and machine learning
- genomic epidemiology
- public health microbiology
- one health approach
- health administrative and Electronic Health Record (EHR) data
Assistant Professor, Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto (pending)
Academic Degrees and Accreditations
- Postgraduate program in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning: Business Analytics, McCombs School of Business, The University of Texas at Austin
- Master of Public Health, School of Public Health and Health Systems, University of Waterloo
- Master of Science (Biology), Faculty of Science, York University
- Doctor of Philosophy (Zoology), Osmania University
PHO Research Interests
- Incorporate data science and machine learning into public health microbiology and genomics to develop risk discovery, assessment and prediction models
- Develop combined genomic and epidemiological methods and approaches to study pathogen transmission and epidemic dynamics
- Identify genomic biomarkers from pathogen genomes to develop novel and rapid molecular diagnostic tests and vaccine candidates using immunoinformatics
- Accelerate public health surveillance and planning by integrating public health and healthcare strategies
PHO Research Activities
- Develop a genome-based machine learning model to address challenges of antimicrobial resistance (AMR) in public health
- Examine the evolutionary and transmission dynamics of viral (for example COVID-19, Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV)), bacterial and fungal pathogens using phylodynamics
- Collaborate on the development of novel and rapid diagnostics for infectious diseases using immunoinformatics
- Provide expertise in data science protocols and machine learning approaches
- Lee JW, Su Y, Baloni P, Chen D, Pavlovitch-Bedzyk AJ, Yuan D, Duvvuri VR, et al. Integrated analysis of plasma and single immune cells uncovers metabolic changes in individuals with COVID-19. Nat Biotechnol. 2022;40(1):110-20.
- Su Y, Chen D, Yuan D, Lausted C, Choi J, Dai CL, Voillet V, Duvvuri VR, et al. Multi-omics resolves a sharp disease-state shift between mild and moderate COVID-19. Cell. 2020;183(6):1479-95.e20.
- Hicks JT, Lee D-H, Duvvuri VR, Kim Torchetti M, Swayne DE, Bahl J. Agricultural and geographic factors shaped the North American 2015 highly pathogenic avian influenza H5N2 outbreak. PLoS Pathog. 2020;16(1):e1007857.
- Duvvuri VR, Deng X, Teatero S, Memari N, Athey T, Fittipaldi N, et al. Population structure and drug resistance patterns of emerging non-PCV-13 Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 22F, 15A, and 8 isolated from adults in Ontario, Canada. Infect Genet Evol. 2016;42:1-8.
- Duvvuri VR, Granados A, Rosenfeld P, Bahl J, Eshaghi A, Gubbay JB. Genetic diversity and evolutionary insights of respiratory syncytial virus A ON1 genotype: global and local transmission dynamics. Sci Rep. 2015;5:14268.