Ethics Review Board
Public Health Ontario's (PHO) Ethics Review Board (ERB) is responsible for the ethics review of evidence-generating public health projects that involve human participants, their data or their biological materials. Projects may include research, evaluation, enhanced surveillance and quality improvement.
The ERB helps to ensure that projects are consistent with the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans, Second edition (TCPS 2), PHO’s Framework for the Ethical Conduct of Public Health Initiatives, as well as other relevant regulations, policies and guidelines. As an independent board, the ERB has the authority to approve, reject, propose modifications to or withdraw approval of any eligible projects submitted for review. The ERB also participates in the development of best practices for addressing emerging ethical issues in the conduct of public health evidence-generating initiatives across the province.
Collectively, ERB members have expertise in a broad range of public health disciplines and methodologies, ethics, law, and community perspectives.
List of Current Board Members
- Elizabeth Peter, Chair
- Samiya Abdi, Public Health Ontario
- Lisa Berger, Toronto Public Health
- Shelly Bolotin, Public Health Ontario
- Kayla Burt, Public Health Ontario
- Alexandra Campbell, University of Toronto
- Rob Haile, Southwestern Public Health
- Billie-Jo Hardy, Well Living House, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Pam Husband, Community Member
- Anna Majury, Public Health Ontario
- Juhee Makkar, University of Toronto
- Marvelous Muchenje, Community Member
- Ruby Shanker, Women's College Hospital
- Jay Shaw, Women's College Hospital
- Naomi Thulien, MAP Centre for Urban Health Solutions, St. Michael’s Hospital
- Ashley Vanderlaan, Hamilton Public Health Services
Check out our submission deadlines and meeting dates.
Don’t have a MyPHO account? Register Now